Monday, May 18, 2009

Geist Half Marathon...the morning of....

Sorry for slacking on the posts.

Last Saturday, I ran in the Geist Half Marathon. It was a scenic run around the Geist Resovoir which is located in the northern part of Indianapolis. That area is basically the North Shore of Indy. It was a very nice run. I call it the Champagne and Caviar Half because of its location and because the stark difference in the scenery compared to the Mini Marathon. For those of you who have run the Mini, you understand.

The morning started out fine. I had a Starbucks Double Shot Light because I need the caffeine and didn't know if I had time to make or get coffee. This a good product for those who need their morning Joe and aren't sure if there are places near the race area. I also had a bowl of oatmeal.

My mistake last year in my training is that I ate too much...I ate every half hour...as a result, I didn't lose any weight.





I also made decided to use my fuel belt.
The races always have aid/water stations but my strategy was to maintain a consistent pace. If stopped for water or even slowed down, then I would be tempted to stop and just walk. Also, I wanted to drink when I felt the need and not depend on the aid stations.

For this race, I drank the GU2O drink instead of Gatorade since I was training with GU2O.


I also packed two GU gels. I wore a short sleeve running shirt, 2XU Compression Tights and my Injinji Socks .

I cannot talk enough about compression tights for both running and recovery. I have both the 2XU and Skins brands. Also, I love the Injinji socks because it keeps my toes separated.

No comments:

Post a Comment